Tuesday, July 14, 2009

We're Still Here!!!

Hello all! This will be a looooong blog! I have a lot of updating to do since I've been lazy about blogging :) I have a lot of new photos and couple new videos I will add...

So. First an update. Michael is doing really well... growing like a weed. He seems to learn new things everyday and its both really exciting and scary all at the same time. Its exciting that hes crawling and pulling himself up onto things but also we've had to do some serious baby-proofing! We bought a big gate to go across our living room that separates it from our stairs/kitchen area. Michaels favorite activity is finding cords (cable, phone wires, etc) and chewing on them. He's a bit hard-headed (not sure where he got that, haha) so its been hard teaching him not to do that. He has about 6 teeth now and 1 or 2 more about to come through any day. He learned that he can grind them together which makes my teeth hurt every time I hear it. I guess you can say parenting just got a little more interesting the last few weeks!

So Here are a couple new videos of Michael...




For the 4th of July we went to a festival in Kaiserslautern (biggest town close by) and had a lot of fun listening to music, eating food and just walking around. It wasn't an Independence Day celebration (they had fireworks on base for the Americans) but we still had a good time. Here are a few photos from that night...


The Lanes


Our little family, dressed all patriotic :)





And here are a few more recent photos of Michael...






On July 8th we decided to go on an overnight trip to Garmisch, Germany and stay a lodge called Edelwiess. It is military owned (you would never know it, very nice lodge/resort) and sits right in the Bavarian Alps. It was such a beautiful area. Michael did really good in the car for the 5 hour drive and actually slept great in the hotels pack-n-play. Here are a few photos...






We stayed one night and after we checked out in the morning drove to Munich (it was pretty much on the way home) and went to visit the Dachau Concentration Camp. It was so moving for both Eric and I to see. They had an extensive museum with photos, time lines and details about the camp. Children 12 and under (including Michael) were not allowed to go in the museum part because of the graphic images so Eric and I took turns touring it while the other stayed outside with Michael. We also went in to the bunkers where the prisoners lived. I think the hardest part was seeing the crematorium. Very sad. Here are a few photos of the grounds.







It was definitely an eye-opening experience. It is one thing to hear about it/read about it in history books... but to actually see this place was amazing.


Well, hope you enjoyed seeing some of our new photos. I'll try to update more often so I don't have to cram all of it into one (I know I always say that but I'm serious this time! haha)

No comments: